Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Who Cares?

I just sat for an hour and wrote 925 words on nothing. Nothing. Well, not NOTHING, but about watching American Idol, so pretty much nothing.




Ok, ok. About watching American Idol, AKA a show that brought me a sense of "home".

About running back in forth, house to house, trying to cheat and beat the system of half the island having power at a time and the very inconvenient times they switch it (like in the middle of a show!).

About the bond of friendship in another world.

I gave away the fact that, yes, I watch TV. And, shhh, don't tell anyone, I used the words "freaking" as in "because I freaking didn't want to!!!" and "darn", when I know full well that the majority of my audience is conservative Christians.

And then I ask, "Who cares? Who really cares about me watching American Idol?" Surely not that many people.

But I care. And my story cares. All of these books out there, these amazing missionary stories of people battling the elements and the underworld, maybe they aren't going to waste time telling about American Idol, because honestly, those missionaries probably didn't waste their time watching it to begin with. But my story is not that. I was no less of an amazing missionary because I did these things. I may not have translated the Bible into a previously unknown tongue or baptized dozens, but to at least someone, I did something big. Maybe it was listening as a child poured out their heart or finding shoes for another who needed them, or simply putting on a band-aid. But I did these things, they came from my heart, and I was the hands of Jesus at that time. And then I went home and watched American Idol.

As for the usage of those words. I catch myself thinking, "I can't put these in here! What self respecting Christian publishing house would tolerate those pseudo-bad words in a book?!" But then I quickly say, "Who cares?" I am not writing this book for them. I am writing it for me and for you. Although these words may not be in the vernacular of the super missionaries, Heaven knows they are in yours and mine.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you used those words in your story, and that you wrote about watching American Idol. It makes you seem more real and uh, 'reachable,' if that makes any sense. To me at least. I am your audience, and I CARE. Keep writing for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That is my ultimate goal... to show me (the missionary) for who I am really am (a normal, average person, nothing special). We shall see what others think about that, but once again, really, "Who cares?" :)

    ReplyDelete