So, in two months it will be coming out. My story I wrote about my cars. I was so excited when they told me they chose it out of thousands (yes, they receive several hundred stories a week, which means each month a couple thousand or so). First it went on past the "Trash" pile - which I am sure they have a better word for like "Not What We are Looking For" or "Good try", but we all know what is really meant by that word -- to the "Maybe" pile. And then from from the "Maybe" pile to the "Pursue" pile. And then the editing/rewriting/refining process began.
You want to know the story of my life? Ask Nicole at Guideposts. Between the twenty or so emails we sent back and forth, she got answers that nobody else has ever had, simply because she asked questions that nobody else has ever asked. And then they "formatted" my story to fit their style.
In other words, they completely rewrote my story.
Sigh.
Ok, not completely. But out of the words that are there, maybe 50% of them, possibly less, actually flowed from my pen.
At first, I was really sad. I liked my story. It was, in my mind and those who read it, creative. Working backwards through time, casual little connection here, subtle little change there. How can I even put my name on here, if I didn't write this? I asked myself. Without even finishing reading what was sent to me, I closed Word and walked away. I needed time to process this before I read the rest.
In that week that I didn't think, look, or talk about my story, or um, their story, I realized something. It all comes down to audience. I wrote that story not to be published, but for myself. In fact, I only shared it with six friends or family members. And that was because after writing it for myself I wanted to share the meaning of the story with them rather than the words. And for that audience, and that purpose, my story golden.
Today, however, this story has a new audience: the general public. Not only that, but it has a new method of delivery: a magazine. When I wrote it, I alluded to a lot things. And I knew that the six people I sent it two would know what it meant too, because they know me. But the general public does not know me. And so now the purpose changes. I am no longer writing a creative piece, but I am sharing an experience (or four) that has shown me the love of Christ in my life, of His unfailing faitfulness. And for this, yes, maybe the style needs to be different. More clear. Less hints and more facts. Less creativity and more staight-up-ness. Because at the end, what is my purpose? Is it for my this audience to say, "Wow, what a great writer!"? No. Instead, it is to hopefully help someone out there say, "Wow, what a great God!"
So, since the audience has changed the story must change with it. And it did. And I put two cents in here and there and they agreed to my requests, and I signed off on it. I trust it now into their hands because now it belongs to them.
And actually, I like the final product. But I still think my original was better ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment