Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Published.

No, no.  Not my book.  That is going to be published, yet.  (But it will be!)

Today my excitement comes over my other project I have been working on -- my food blog.

I started it a few months back as a way to record recipes and adventures (as well as misadventures!) in the kitchen.  It kind of became a conglomoration of stories of trial and error, cooking lessons, and a record of a dual-cultural marriage through the lens of food.  It has been growing, now over 2,000 page views, which is way more than this blog will ever have -- and I like it that way.  (This one is way more personal.)  When I hit 32 I lost count of how many different countries were represented by my occasional readers, with a lot of hits coming from the American expat community living in Brazil.  I guess American-Brazilian marriages seek out others in the same situation, no matter the country they live in!  All in all, it has been fun, challenged me as a writer (food blogs can do that, you shouldn't be surprised), and has connected me to a whole new world of people -- people trying to make food at home, whether they are successful or not.

Today is a big day for my little food blog with 18 followers (plus 28 of Facebook).  I just sent back the appropriate papers for my blog to be a Featured Publisher blog with Foodbuzz.com.  This means that they liked me enough to want to put their stamp of approval (and links to their website) on my blog and I will be promoted through their advertising department.  Nothing huge, but still... it is a sign that somewhere, someone thinks my writing is worth reading.  And you know what?  That feels good. :)


(See the picture on the top?  I found it through a Google search and it made me remember about Wordles.  If you have not made a Wordle before, do it!  You just go to wordle.net and copy and paste the text you want in it or RSS your blog/whatever to it.  It gives a visual representation of your words -- the more frequent the word usage, the larger the word.  Gave it a try with my food blog, and this is what I got.  I guess I really like chicken, hahaha!)

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing! I am very excited about this new opportunity for you!!

    Thanks for sharing the wordles, I've seen them before but never knew I could make my own. Fun fun! :)

    ReplyDelete