
I am not a shy person. I pretty much say what I want when I want to whomever I want.
This has been known to get me in trouble.
It has also helped me land some pretty quality friends. I guess people like those who are willing to speak up, to break the ice, to shoot the breeze.
But with my writing, oh, I am incredibly shy.
Maybe shy isn't the right word. Timid. Bashful. A little scared.
You can say something and then it is gone a second later (unless of course it is a word of love or a remark of hate. Both of those have a way of staying with someone for a long time). But when you write it is there. Seconds and minutes and hours and days later, it is there. For all eyes to see, for all to read, for all to decide. Is it good? Is it bad? Boring? Or maybe, hopefully, straight-to-the-heart just right.
I want to write, I want people to read what I have written, and maybe most importantly, I want those words to be received favorably. But there is a fear of the utmost rejection. If someone rejects your writing it is as if they have rejected you.
So here is my general disclaimer, my go-to answer for when I know someone will be reading my heart through my written/typed words, deciding for themselves whether or not it holds value -- for them. When I feel intimidated by the fact that the curtain will be lifted and all will be revealed, I can mutter the words, "General Disclaimer" under my breath, and go. For really, what does it matter if it holds value for them? I write for me. And I hope, through my writing, that others can have a moment of enjoyment or maybe a reason to pause and think.
GENERAL DISCLAIMER:
This may not be the best writing you have ever read. This may contain poor word choices, lacking analogies, and over-used adjectives. There might be too much "telling" and too little "showing". Or there might be so much "showing" that your brain starts spinning. This work has not been written by a famous author or even an experienced author, but it has been written by an author who strives to share in a way that is meaningful and just. And she hopes that, through her writing, you can get a glimpse of what is inside her heart. But if not, she takes no responsibility for your lost time, as it was you who chose to read it.
A critic can only review the book he has read, not the one which the writer wrote. ~Mignon McLaughlin
No comments:
Post a Comment