Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Love.


Two Saturdays ago I was asked to share at church. The question to which I was to respond to, with a 8 minute answer, was this: How has Jesus, through others, taught you to love well? And for all my thinking of people in my life and experiences I have lived through, the story of Rickonson (see my last post) was the one that did it for me. That was the story I had to share, and I knew it.

Paulo asked me several weeks ago what I do when I am in the shower. He pointed out that during the rest of the day I am speaking, whether for my job or for my hobby (as we all know that talking is one of my favorite activities ;) ). And well, I didn't know. I had never thought about it. But I figured out my answer. I preach sermons in my head. I say things to myself that I wish I could say to others but do not have the platform nor the guts to say. So, when I was given this task, I formed my talk over several days while I was in the shower.

I think the reason I like to do this is because not only do I get to speak but I get to listen. And God often has some pretty interesting things to say to me.

Like, for instance, with the story of Rickonson... What was his greatest desire? To keep my love. What was his greatest fear? To lose that love. And really, Tiffany, is that any different than any other person on the face of the earth? No. And again I say, No. We as humans crave love beyond all else. More than money, more than fancy food or any food, really. Some people suggest that we seek after love AFTER our basic needs our met. But I suggest that love IS a basic need.

And isn't it amazing that the great desire, the one thing that all humanity seeks after, can be found in only one place... God. Because God is love. Not that he HAS love, or POSSESSES love, but he IS love. Not "loving" or "full of love". No. He is love. Like I am flesh and my dresser is wood, God is love.

Here is where we fit in. With Christ living in us, with LOVE dwelling in us, we have the answer for the great desire of all people. We are the carriers of the Holy Spirit, this Spirit that is manifested in love, and we are to share that love with one another. How dare we call ourselves by the name of Christ if we do not have love! Christ is so clear -- "They will know you are my disciples if you love one another."

So, that is how Jesus used a little boy to teach me how to love others well. And that was the message I shared that morning in church. Afterwards several people came to me and thanked me for what I shared. Someone told me I should be a pastor (Um, no thanks) and others told me that I brought tears to their eyes. I am grateful that God could speak this to me through my experiences and through my shower time so that I have a story to share with others. Someone else said, "That was great! You had plot and a climax, you left us wondering what was going to happen next and you kept us engaged the entire time. You know, you should write a book about these experiences!"

Why, thank you! I think I will ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment