Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Connect.


Technology is a powerful tool for many things.  Keeping in touch, paying bills, entertaining us.  It is through technology that I have somewhat found my voice in writing.  It is still a work in progress.

Technology has also allowed friendships to grow.  If it weren't for MSN messenger and emails and Skype, my best friendship -- that with Paulo -- would not have developed.  If it were not for MySpace and Facebook, other friendships would have stagnated.  If it were not for Blogger, I would never have met some of the people that I call friends today.

I talked to my friend Danielle yesterday via Skype.  She lives in Brazil and we have bonded over a love for our Brazilian men and a desire to learn how to cook and eat 'real' food.  And now we are bonding over writing.  We may have only spent about one hour together in person, yet it seems like we have known each other for awhile.  Something about following each other's lives via the web...

Reading what she shared with me allowed me to glimpse even deeper into who she is.  And I realize that is the purpose of writing, to dig a little deeper into who we are.  Because we all have layers to ourselves that maybe even we don't know are there.  Writing gets that out.  Sharing that writing allows others to see us for who we are discovering ourselves to be.

“We read to know that we are not alone.” — C.S. Lewis 

Picture found via weheartit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment