Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Ready.


This is my 100th post.  I have had things to say between my last post (in September, I believe) and this one, but they were nothing of value.  I wanted this post to be important, and so I waited.  It took awhile, but I have I have something worth sharing.

Let me start by saying Pacific Press did not accept my query.  With just one paragraph to pitch what I was writing they decided that my work would not be good for their publishing house.  Yes, I was sad, but in the end I am happy with that.  Honestly.  Awhile ago I said I did not want to publish through Pacific Press as I did not want this to just be kept in the bubble -- and if you know the bubble I speak of then you know the bubble.  It may seem like I am back at square one, but really I am not.  I have done a lot of research since then and now and I have a path I am walking down.  The destination is not yet clear, but the path is. 

The first step on that path begins tomorrow.  In my possession I have two printed copies of my reworked manuscript, ready to be handed over to two trusted friends (one a writer, the other an avid reader) who are going to look over my work.  I am excited and I am scared.  I know I will get it back all ripped up with marks here and there plus a lot of comments that I need to work through, but this is the next step I need to take if I want this to be the best it can be.  It took me a long time to get my own revisions done, but I have finished them.  I set the clock for Christmas, and on Christmas day I sat down to finish what I said I was going to do.  And I did.  So now I move on to the next part. 

This is the part where true risks are going to be taken.  I am going to open up my precious, incredibly personal work to the eyes of others.  I am going to send letters and emails to people who are quite likely to reject what I have to say.  And then I am going to somehow make this all public. 

Risks.

But without the risk there can be no reward.  Wish me luck, because there is no turning back now.  I am moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment